Thursday, April 21, 2011

Grippies? Grippez? What WERE these?

I write freehand so seldom these days that my handwriting, once a point of pride, has deteriorated noticably. I guess the one good thing about switching to keyboards is that I no longer carry giant finger calluses where a pen or pencil always rested.

But for a short time in late grade school, a product came along that we thought was awesome in this regard. For the longest time I couldn't remember the name, and then it came to me. Grippies! Or was it Grippez? They were little triangular plastic things you slipped on your pencil, they came in all colors, and you they somehow let you rest your finger on them while writing to protect you from calluses, and help you hold the pencil (or pen) better.

Amazon has these, which it claims help with ergonomics, but we had certainly never heard that word in the 70s and 80s, and  ours didn't look anything like these -- they were longer and more like a little pyramid. All I know is that when our (crappy little) grade school store started selling them, they were a hot item indeed.

Ours looked more like these.

Does anyone else remember these? Maybe you called them something else?


Edie said...

I loved pencil grips. We had the triangle ones and the foam kind that would inevitably fall to pieces.

Our teacher also sold the pencils that had grooves for your fingers. I can't remember what they were called, but they were in neon colors. We could buy them for a quarter each, as opposed to the other pencils that were 2 for 25 cents!

cmcl said...

Never had these. We just had to live with the pain. Of course, I went to Catholic school, so there you go.